Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Carrying Out my GAME Plan

In order to strengthen my confidence and proficiency in addressing the National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS.S) within my classroom I have developed a GAME Plan to support my proficiency in the standards.  “The GAME Plan requires that you think about and take steps to direct your learning process, specifically while learning about technology and how to integrate it into the curriculum” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3).
            “After you’ve identified your learning goals, you need to take action to meet those goals” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 4).  In order to address both of my goals, I will be participating in my school’s board to revamp our Electronic Resources User Agreement and Policies.  The one provided by the district leaves much to be desired and collectively we have decided to modify the agreement to better address our expectations for students both at home and at school.  In order to rewrite the user agreement I will also be doing extensive research on other school district’s technology user agreements for inspiration and guidance.  I will be reaching out to my Walden colleagues with whom I have developed a good rapport with and then I will reach out on other educational blog sites I participate in.  After collecting the other district’s user agreements I will identify both the strengths and weaknesses of each of the user agreements.
            I will also use feedback from students to assist in writing the user agreement and to ensure that the students have ownership in the agreement.  At the close of this academic year, my students and I will be participating in a series of class discussions based on aspects of the user agreement(s) that both my students and I deem important aspects of what should or should not be included in the user agreement.  This debate will be a cross curricular activity supported by the students work in their English classes.




Resources
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

5 comments:

  1. Michael,

    I like how you are going to be able to help revamp your district's Electronic Resources User Agreement and Policies. Is this something your district allows to happen every year or on a need to basis. I know with my district they have had the same policy since 2005. None of my collegues haven't been invited to a sit down to revamp it either. What types of ideas or changes are you planning to bring to the table when you have your meeting? Maybe I can throw some of your ideas at my district.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    I have had to petition and work very hard to get my district to allow me to rewrite our User Agreement. I had to write a proposal explaining why it should be revamped and exactly how it would be done.

    My goals with the User Agreement include: adapting a more explicit definition of cyber bullying, clearly outline expectations for conduct while utilizing technology resources at school, and setting up an interactive format for introducing the user agreement to students as opposed to just sending it home with the begging of the school year packet of things to sign. I want the user agreement to begin classroom discussions on responsible and ethical use of technology in any environment.

    Best of luck in your efforts! If your district doesn't let you take it on the big scale, at the very least you can have your own for your classroom / department/ or even school site. I am reminded by my mentor's favorite reference to a rock being thrown in a pond: "every ripple makes a difference!" Again, best of luck!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    I think this is a great idea. I think there are many districts that have an obsolete user agreement and that this is an issue that definitely needs to be addressed. Today’s students are so tech savvy that there are many agreements may not even cover what can happen. Students have no concept of ethics when it comes to posting things on the internet or hacking into the system. I think a policy that makes them understand then could be a good thing for them in the end. In Florida they are a cyber-bullying law. Many of my students think it is a joke, but I have seen so much heartache because of the misuse of technology. We had one student this year have to leave our school because there was a restraining order placed against her because of her cyber-bullying.
    I think a good way to present a policy is not to just make them sign a piece of paper that was explained, but instead to really show them why the policy is what it is.

    Rosanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael,

    I think it is a great first step that you are working with the school board to revamp your districts electronic resources user agreement and policies. It is great that through our course here at Walden you have formed relationship with your peers and you are using their knowledge on electronic agreements and policies to help research how to improve your district’s policies. I like that you are allowing your students to weigh in on how to improve your district’s policies. Sometimes students bring up points you may have no other wise thought of or they may find weaknesses in your suggestions. I like how you are tying in the debate as a cross-curriculum project and it also makes the project authentic to the students. You are well on your way to implementing your GAME plan.

    Good luck,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael,

    I really commend you for your willingness to handle a situation such as this to make technology integration in the classroom safer and more meaningful for your students. I was really surprised to hear that you feel that your districts user agreement leaves much to be desired. Often times I find that these are largely encompassing and do not allow the students much leeway in terms of what they can or cannot do with the resources.

    I think it would be very interesting to hear what your students have to say in regards to the new agreement that you allow them to create. Giving students the opportunity to create the rules that they have to follow is always a powerful experience for the teacher and one that gives the students the feeling of respect that they are often searching for. It has been my experience that when you give the students this type of responsibility that they are often more critical of themselves and their peers than you would be. How are you going to handle situations where the students attempt to take away responsibilities that you feel the students really should have? Also, do you have a plan for sharing your concerns and revised student user agreement with the district? I think it would be interesting to hear their response to your changes.

    -Nick Zomer

    ReplyDelete