Tuesday, May 10, 2011

GAME Plan: ISTE NETS


               In order to strengthen my confidence and proficiency in addressing the National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS.S) within my classroom I have developed a GAME Plan to support my proficiency in the standards.  “The GAME Plan requires that you think about and take steps to direct your learning process, specifically while learning about technology and how to integrate it into the curriculum” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3).

Set Goals
“In order to stay up-to-date with current and emerging technologies for teaching and learning, you will need to constantly assess your technology integration skills in order to identify the new knowledge and skills you need” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 4).  As the year comes to a close and class time is less restrictive to content standards after state standards assessments, I look forward to enriching my students learning experiences within the realm of technology.  My goals are foundationally based in specifically two of the ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Teachers:
“4.a. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
Teachers understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behavior in their professional practices. Teachers will promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008, p.1).
“5.b. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources. Teachers will exhibit leadership by demonstrating a vision of technology infusion, participating in shared decision making and community building, and developing the leadership and technology skills of others” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008, p.1).

Take Action
“After you’ve identified your learning goals, you need to take action to meet tose goals” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 4).  In order to address both of my goals, I will be participating in my school’s board to revamp our Electronic Resources User Agreement and Policies.  The one provided by the district leaves much to be desired and collectively we have decided to modify the agreement to better address our expectations for students both at home and at school.  I will use feedback from students to assist in writing the user agreement and to ensure that the students have ownership in the agreement.  I will also be doing extensive research on other school district’s technology user agreements for inspiration and guidance.

Monitor
“As you take action to achieve your learning goals, you’ll need to monitor whether you are making siffiecient progress towards your goals and reflect on whether the strategies you have chosen are working” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 4).  In order to monitor my progress I will refer to my colleagues within our board meetings as well as reflect on my progress by asking:
Am I finding the information I need from other resources?
What patterns are emerging from the User Agreements I have gathered from other districts?
Am I including my student’s voice in our work?
Am I including social issues in our User Agreement?
Do I need to modify my action plan?

Evaluate and Extend
            “During the evaluate stage in self-directed learning, you’ll determine whether you met your goal and reflect on whether your approach worked or whether you should modify your strategies for the future” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 5).  In August I will be presenting our board’s new Electronic Resources User Agreement and Policies to both our school district and to our school site on our buy-back days.  Both presentations will model how teachers can present the User Agreement to their students in a meaningful and creative manner.  At this point in my GAME Plan I will again reflect on the experience and refer to my student’s progress as an understanding for how my work has really influenced their understanding of technology use.



Resources
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved May 8, 2011 from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

10 comments:

  1. Michael,

    I have not gotten involved with our school board as yet. I am interested how your plan to restructure the Electronic Resources User Agreement and Policies. Our students and teachers digital sign, by clicking the accept button for our current user policy. I am not sure if every student, staff and faculty member really reads it because of the length of the policy.

    I think it is great that you are going to be the voice for your students throughout this process. I think it is important to hear the voice of our students. If we want students to take responsibility for their learning and become self-directed learners, educators and administrators should take the time to listen and respect their suggestions and opinions.

    Looking forward to follow-up information. Good luck to you with your GAME PLAN.

    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    It is extremely important that students, teachers, and parents understand and recognize the importance of Electronic User Agreements within school districts. Too often, individuals scroll through the on-line agreement and click accept, without truly reading and recognizing the importance of it. I think because the agreements are long and cumbersome to read. I, too, think it is important the school board “hears” the voices of the students. It not only helps administrators and school board members to recognize that our young people do have valuable information to share, especially when it comes to technology. Children are surrounded by it every day. As Dr. John Ross stated, “Students need to be taught social responsibility when using technology in school. Technology should be used and taught as a learning resource. Students need to be shown what acceptable and not acceptable use of technology is”. (Laureate Education, 2009). Good luck to you, keep us posted on your results.

    Layna

    References:

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Meeting Students’ Needs With Technology, Part 2. Baltimore, MD: Author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Layna,

    Thank you for your feedback! After reading through your response I was thinking it might be a good idea to attach a concept map illustrating the main concepts of the user agreement for my "lazy" readers.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael,

    I like your idea of revamping your Electronic Resources User Agreement and Policies. I believe my distict needs to do the same as well. Our policy is from 2005 and a lot has happened in the world or technolgy and internet since then. I like the idea of having your students put in their own feedback to help change and modify your policy. Since they are the ones using the electronics it is important to see when they believe will be beneficial to them. Before you recieve their feedback, is there anything you are looking for to be changed? Is there any areas you yourself should be modified for the good of the cause?

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt,

    Thanks! I think districts across the nation have to revisit their user agreements. My goals with the User Agreement include: adapting a more explicit definition of cyber bullying, clearly outline expectations for conduct while utilizing technology resources at school, and setting up an interactive format for introducing the user agreement to students as opposed to just sending it home with the begging of the school year packet of things to sign. I want the user agreement to begin classroom discussions on responsible and ethical use of technology in any environment.

    In my own classroom I have developed a lesson on cyber bullying that I revisit several times throughout the year. I am also working closely with the English to department to develop universal expectations for citing sources and requiring such for all assignments. I am working very hard this third trimester and over the summer to bring more awareness to my school site to these specific aspects of responsible technological uses.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael,
    I really like how you will use your students in taking action; it’s a great way to get them involved in your personal goal well done! I also like that you will be reaching out to other school districts in order to revamp your Electronic User Agreement and Policy. It’s great that you will be able to complete your goal by presenting the information you gathered for all to see. Good Luck!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael,

    I think it is great you are able to be involved in revamping your schools Electronic User Agreement! My district recently revamped ours but with being a newer teacher I didn't know how to become involved in the process.

    Can I suggest using Zoomerang or another online survey site to get feed back from the parents and students. This may be easier to get participation and organize responses. I think it is a wonderful idea to include the students in the process. After all they will be the ones affected by it!

    Good luck with the process!

    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael,

    I like that you are involving your students in the revamping of your digital citizenship form. Having them take ownership of their work is an excellent motivator. Also, the fact that you are updating it is critical, since technology is changing so rapidly, district need to stay current. I think all districts should update their policies every other year.

    Thats a great opportunity that you have to present the new policy to your district. Will you be using technology to present the new policy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom,

    I will be using technology to present the ew policy, but I have not worked out any of the details yet as we are still in the writing process. Any suggestions??

    MWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tabitha,

    Thank you! I will look into Zoomerang as a modality for encouraging parents to participate in the development and writing process. Many of the parents in our district are business professionals and can provide great feedback for us!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete